food

Mumbai: More than 20 passengers were admitted to hospital on Sunday for food poisoning after they had breakfast onboard Indian Railways’ premium train Tejas Express between Goa and Mumbai.

food

When many passengers started feeling ill, the train was stopped out of course at Chiplun in the Konkan region of Maharashtra. Initially, they were examined by railway doctor but when the symptoms of food poisoning were recognized, all of them were immediately admitted to a nearby private LifeCare hospital for further treatment. Three of them were in critical condition and taken directly to ICU. Reports suggest that all of them are stable now and out of danger but still under observation of the doctors.

About 300 passengers were served breakfast by pantry staff in the morning but in some time only many of them started complaining about stomach issues. IRCTC has licensed  J.K. Ghosh company for catering services on Tejas Express. Most of the patients admitted consumed omlette in the breakfast. Food samples were sent for inspection by the Indian Railways. A probe has been launched to investigate the source of food poisoning.

IRCTC authorities gave a statement that the Director of Catering Services is on his way to Mumbai to monitor the whole incident and ensure the health and safety of the affected. Further, a report suggested that an IRCTC officer and catering head license is suspended owing to this incident.

Covering Karmali railway station in Goa and Mumbai’s Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus Terminal, Tejas Express is the first premium high-speed AC train service launched recently in June of this year. Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of Indian Railways submitted a report three months back claiming that the food served by Indian Railways is “unfit for human consumption.” The incident depicts that little attention was paid by railway authorities to this report and serious actions are needed to be taken in this regard.

Comments

comments